Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye and Good Riddance to you, 2013

One year ago we were staying with my folks in Utah. It was in the middle of a freakishly cold snap with temperatures in the teens (or below) and lots of snow on the ground. My dad and The Mister went out into the snowy backyard and lit off fireworks while the rest of us enjoyed the show from the cozy indoors. The fireworks were so beautiful reflected against the sparkly snow!

This year our plans are even more low-key. I spent the morning at the big antique mall checking out the sales. I bought a few treasures to keep, but the vast majority of what I purchased is meant to be repurposed and resold at next year's Christmas market. I did have fun wandering the aisles and looking in all the booths--the mall is in an old grocery store space so it is HUGE and I spend about 2.5 hours in there, poking around to my heart's content!

Tonight, I'll make dinner (nothing fancy) and I think we'll break out Maren's new copy of Just Dance 2014 Kids and then call it a night. Being 36 weeks pregnant does not exactly put me in the mood to stay up all night long partying.

As for 2013, I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. It has absolutely been our most difficult year so far. We've lost two good men unexpectedly (my grandpa and The Mister's father), said goodbye to our beloved Bronco doggie (also unexpectedly), spent extended periods of time apart as The Mister has been away for work, dealt with a hole in our basement floor for 10 months and the attendant frustrations and ridiculousness with that whole fiasco, and had our new house deal blow up in our faces less than a week before closing day. I have been sick and uncomfortable and cranky since the very beginning of this pregnancy and have pretty much hated every single second of being pregnant. There was plenty more bad or frustrating or annoying or expensive stuff that happened but these are the major things.
Sadly, I don't think 2014 is going to be better. At least I won't be pregnant anymore but I'll have a newborn and all of the difficulties that come with a new baby. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm dreading going back to middle-of-the-night feedings and hauling around a heavy baby carrier and changing poopy diapers. We're still in limbo about the new house and have no idea when or what kind of resolution will come to that situation. There's other stuff hanging over our heads as well and it's very possible that a year from now, I'll be telling you that 2013 was a picnic compared to 2014. Wish I could be more optimistic (I'm normally a very positive person, I swear!) but I'm not facing the year to come with excitement about all of the possibilities the future holds--more with dread about the difficulties sure to come. Maybe time will prove me wrong. I sure hope so.

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the newborn days are shitty. BUT! Three kids is a whole new world. It's like suddenly you are a tribe, or a herd. There is a totally different feeling to being a larger family and it is awesome. Swear. I look forward to meeting number three very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Heidi. 2014 might surprise you yet. Best wishes for you and the whole crew, including the new team member-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there are things you can't talk about on here - and I know they are BIG things. So, I'm always here for you! That new baby is going to be SO lucky to have you for his Mom. He is going to have the best parties EVER! 2013 had lows for me too and I am scared for 2014, but it is going to happen one way or the other, isn't it? I just pray we all stay healthy and safe. Stay strong, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the only thing you can do, is take it a little at a time and deal with it as it comes. I'm of the worrier variety myself. Most of the time I just do deep breaths! I am sending a big hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Heidi! So sorry you had a rough 2013 and I do hope you don't have to say it was a walk in the park compared to 2014. Praying for God to help reveal his blessings and the beauty that can come from the trials. Thanking you for your friendship over the last year in bloggy land! May 2014 be filled with more blessings than you could imagine!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails